New Westminster is an up an coming neighborhood that is beautiful and is rich in history. With parks and heritage neighborhoods, it's a great place to live, work, and play. For me, it's also about food.
Here are some places to check out:
1) Kozac Ukrainian Bakery
If you're in the mood for authentic Ukrainian food. This place is worth a visit. Everything is fresh, delicious, and hearty. Be sure to check out the borscht, perogies, sourdough bread and the chocolate babka!
2) Victoria Sushi
For those wanting aburi-style sushi, look no further! This restaurant serves up beautifully presented sushi with everyone's favorite without the hefty price tag. Try any of the aburi oshi sushi, aburi tobiko roll, and more!
3) Longtail Kitchen
Located in River Market with patio seating, this place is considered one of the best food in the Quay. A modern take on Thai, the food here is sure to take your taste buds on an adventurous ride non this side of the world. Try the pad thai, crispy chicken wings, and the gai yang (roasted chicken). You won't be disappointed.
4) Wild Thyme
A family run restaurant with authentic Lebanese food that is fresh, flavorful, and spiced beautifully. This restaurant is worth a visit. With generous portions of amazing Middle Eastern food, it's no wonder there are line ups out the door. Try the cauliflower, the handmade flatbreads and the half kafta (beef) half chicken bowl.
5) Piva Modern Italian
A modern Italian restaurant in the heart of the city, this restaurant serves up modern Italian favorites with local ingredients. Try the duck, arancini risotto balls, fried eggplant, and gnocchi.
I've received questions since last week from some of you about the latest First Time Buyer Down Payment Loan Program so I've decided to highlight the eligibility requirements. In order to qualify, you must meet ALL requirements listed:
• Have saved a down payment amount at least equal to the loan amount for which they are applying from government.
• Have been a Canadian citizen or permanent resident for at least five years.
• Have lived in B.C. for at least one year prior to the sale.
• Be a first-time buyer who has not owned an interest in any residential property anywhere in the world at any time.
• The home must have a purchase price of less than $750,000.
• The buyer must already be able to qualify for an insured high-ratio first mortgage for at least 80 per cent of the purchase price.
• The combined gross household income of all people on title must not be more than $150,000.
• The loan portion is up to $37,500, or five per cent of the home’s purchase price based on a maximum purchase price allowed of $750,000.
• Those who are first time buyer's who already signed a presale contract or are under contract for a presale and have NOT completed on the purchase meaning are NOT on title to the property as the building is NOT finished construction, are still eligible.
Though the loans are available for condos, townhouses or detached homes, please keep in mind the government loan portion is not entirely interest free for the term of the loan. The government would put a second mortgage on a property to reflect the amount it loaned, but not require any interest payments or payments on the principal for the first 5 years. After that, the 20-year repayment plan would be set at the prime lending rate plus 0.5 per cent, leaving the homeowner to pay back both the original mortgage and the down-payment loan at the same time.
Melanie Chow's Market Update
Daily updates on Real Estate news that's happening in your city.